As the 122nd Rose Parade approaches, the Pasadena Fire Department and Pasadena Police Department are issuing safety tips for the thousands of overnight campers who line the route on New Year’s Eve.
The parade route will be a safer place if everyone follows the rules and regulations intended for the safety of all parade-goers.
What You Can Do:
· Overnight camping is permitted only on the night of Dec. 31.
· A permanent position on the sidewalk may be maintained along the parade route beginning at noon on Dec. 31. The “Blue Line” is the honor line. All persons and property such as blankets, chairs, etc., must remain on the curb until 11 p.m. on Dec. 31. At that time spectators may move out to the honor line.
· Small, professionally manufactured barbeques elevated at least one foot off the ground are allowed on the parade route. 25’ from building or other combustibles. A fire extinguisher must be readily available.
· Minors under the age of 18 may be on the parade route from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. only if they are under the supervision of adults.
· Dress for cold weather. Children and seniors may need extra layers of clothing to avoid hypothermia.
· Stay hydrated and consume nourishing meals to avoid dehydration.
· Report any suspicious activities and packages to emergency authorities along the parade route.
· In case of emergency call (626) 744-4241 from a cellular phone or 9-1-1 from a landline phone and know the cross streets from which you are calling.
What You Can’t Do
· Tents, sofas and boxes of any type that can be used as stools or seats are prohibited are not permitted along the route.
· Unoccupied chairs are not allowed.
· Bonfires are strictly prohibited and considered “illegal burns.”
· Fireworks are prohibited except as part of scheduled official events.
· No items may be sold along the parade route without a permit.
· No public areas (sidewalks, curbs, gutters, streets) may be cordoned or roped off.
· No ladders or scaffolding may be used as elevation for viewing the activities.
· It is illegal to buy, sell or give away horns on the parade route.
· Pets are not recommended along the parade route because they are easily frightened with sudden, loud noises.
· Selling space along the parade route, other than grandstand seating, is illegal.
· Throwing any projectile into the parade, including seemingly harmless items such as tortillas, marshmallows, flowers, etc., is prohibited.
· Vehicles obstructing emergency lanes will be towed.
· Walking in the street is not permitted during the parade.
· Open containers of alcohol are illegal on public streets, sidewalks and all other public areas.
· Sale, possession and use of illegal drugs will not be tolerated.
Enhanced security measures will be in effect on the parade route and very evident. Because of large crowds, Pasadena police officers will resolve problems quickly and remove from the scene anyone who violates the law or disturbs the peace.
On New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day 2007 the Pasadena Fire Department responded to more than twice the number of calls than on average days. These calls included reports of hypothermia, illegal burning, miscellaneous medical issues, assaults and alcohol-related incidents.
For more information about safety along the Rose Parade route visit www.visitpasadena.com and click on Visitor Hotline or call Pasadena Fire Department at (626) 744-7276.
Our 365 Things To Do In Pasadena team wishes you a safe and exciting Rose Parade this year!
Visit 365 Things To Do In Pasadena® for more fun activities in Pasadena California and surrounding neighborhoods.