Here are some fun facts about my favorite city – Pasadena California:
- Did you know that Pasadena was first incorporated in 1886 to get rid of its saloon? Pasadena is the oldest suburb in Los Angeles.
- Pasadena used to be called the San Gabriel Orange Grove Association, but was names as Pasadena in 1875.
- Mot of the original settlers came from Indiana. Many wealthy midwesterners came looking for a winter haven. Many of the grand Hotels like Castle Greenand the del Arroyo Hotel opened to accommodate the rich and famous.
- The del Arroyo Hotel is now the Federal Court of Appeals.
- The fist Pasadena school was started in 1874.
- Street numbers in Pasadena start and Colorado and Fair Oaks because the first General Store and the Post Office were there.
- The Tournament of Roses has a special pact with God since 1890’s. At least , that’s what the legend has it. “We won’t have a parade on Sunday, God won’t rain on our parade.” – so far God has lived up to His promise! The parade has never been cancelled due to rain although a year or so ago, we came pretty close!
- Cal Tech surpassed MIT with the second highest number of patents from a University in 2003.
- Pasadena provided relielf after World War II to Ludwigshafen, Germany. Ludwigshafen became Pasadena’s first Sister City. There are four other Sister Cities. They are Mishima, Japan (1957); Jarvaenpaa, Finland (1983); Vanadzor, Armenia (1991); and Beijing, China (1999)
- California Bridge is nicknamed the Suicide Bridge because more than 200 people have jumped from it.
- The Pasadena Ice House is the oldest comedy club in the country.
- The Junior League started KidsSpace and the Senior Center.
READ MORE: Pasadena City Guide
Do you know any other fun Pasadena facts that you’d like to share? Let me know and I’ll update the list.